A valve helps in regulating the direction of the flow of a fluid. It does so, by obstructing its various passageways and partially blocking them. The industrial use of valves is the highest and is mostly used to control their processes. Industries such as sewage processing, power generation, petroleum and gas production, and many others use valves for control purposes.
What is a Cast Steel Valve?
Cast Steel Valves are types of valves made from cast steel, which is a material containing some ferrous alloy having a maximum carbon content of approximately 0.75%. The oil industries use these valves in their fluid handling systems as a controlling element. They do so by regulating the flow of the fluid, preventing any backflow, and also by regulating the pressure of the system. There are a lot of different types of cast steel valves. Here’s a list of some of them:
- Gate Valves- These valves help in regulating the flow in one direction in the entire system. These perform the best, either when fully open or fully closed. Valves like these are mainly used at places where a minimum pressure drop is necessary or important.
- Globe Valves- These types of valves are used for throttling services. However, when the pressure drop exceeds 20%, they must be used cautiously, as extreme throttling may result in excessive noise and possible damage to the pipes as well as, to the valves.
- Swing Check Valves- These valves mostly provide low resistance to the flow of fluid and are most suited to low-velocity services. They are mostly used to prevent backflow in pipelines.
- Stop Check Valves- These kinds of valves are not like globe check valves; they have no mechanical connection between the stem and the disc. They are mostly used in the steam boiler outlet and their function is to prevent the backflow of fluid from the header to the boiler.
How do Cast Steel Valves Work?
There are a lot of different ways of controlling these cast steel valves, depending upon the kind of work they do. There are different operating positions of valves, two of which are
- Two-way port valves which can either be fully shut or fully closed. The valves are either completely open or closed for full flow or none at all. Many valves aren’t exactly designed to control an intermediate flowing level accurately. Two-way port valves are one of them.
- Three-port valves are ones that have T or L-shaped passageways for fluids in the rotor. T-valves might be used for permitting connections of one inlet to one or two outlets. The L-valve could be used for permitting the disconnection of both or connection of either one, but not both inlets to one outlet.
Dhananjay Choudhary, who is the manager and director of Camtech Manufacturing FZCO, located in Dubai, has enough skill and knowledge about everything that’s needed to be known to own a giant oil refinery.